Go to footer

Question about modding vinyl Head

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Question about modding vinyl Head

Postby twinage » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:53 am

My obitsu head has finally arrived and so happy with it. But then her head shape is quite diference with the character I wanted to make. Her cheek is really shapped and look plumier (sorry if it weird, just don't know how to described it) while I wanted to make a teen-adult character.

I want to sad her cheek and I'm sure it going to eat up a lot of her vinyl cheek to make a nice shape one. The thing is, I open the head cap and see that their vinyl is not too thick and inside is following the cheek shape. I just wondering if I do sanding a lot, will it make a hole in her cheek? :( or maybe not that worst but the cheek will be the thinnest part in her head....
If only I can reshape it rather than sanding....

Also, in the parabox mod website http://parabox.jp/eng_new/custom/how_to_use_knives.html,
it is said that I need to use solvent to make the sanding area smoother. Can I use Mr.Hobby Thinner as the solvent? Or it is too strong for vinyl head?
twinage
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Question about modding vinyl Head

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 am

I can't find the thread right now (think it's one of the Elsa ones), but someone here uses a needle and thread to thin the face - basically sewing it so it pulls it in more.

Edited to add - found the thread - this should be the post with the details in
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby twinage » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 am

ShortNCuddlyAm wrote:I can't find the thread right now (think it's one of the Elsa ones), but someone here uses a needle and thread to thin the face - basically sewing it so it pulls it in more.

Edited to add - found the thread - this should be the post with the details in

Really appreciate this but the head is made from hard vinyl and I don't think I can use needle on her face except her headcap which is the softest part.

I wonder if I can reshape it with heat? Some people have said that they used hair dryer and it make the vinyl a bit softer....
twinage
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am

Hi,
Yes, you actually can use the needle and thread method on the head. ^^I've done it myself on Volks Dollfie Dream heads and the Obitsu 60cm heads, too.
It really works!

As long as you use Button Craft thread and a long sturdy needle (like a rooting needle or longer) it will work. If you heat the head in boiling water first, it wil make it even easier to shoot the needle through the ears.

I can show you examples if you'd like to see finished heads I've done this with.

Good luck!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby twinage » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

SetsunaKou wrote:Hi,
Yes, you actually can use the needle and thread method on the head. ^^I've done it myself on Volks Dollfie Dream heads and the Obitsu 60cm heads, too.
It really works!

As long as you use Button Craft thread and a long sturdy needle (like a rooting needle or longer) it will work. If you heat the head in boiling water first, it wil make it even easier to shoot the needle through the ears.

I can show you examples if you'd like to see finished heads I've done this with.

Good luck!

Yes, please! I would like some photo especially for the dollfie and obitsu head. Tell me the mold also so I can see the difference after mod and before mod.
But I'm not sure if I can Button Craft Thread, can you tell me what kind of thread it is? And what if the string cut off, the head become back to the first position?
twinage
i see dead dolliehs

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Just popping to apologise for continuing to always immediately think vinyl=soft when I know full well it isn't always soft :roll: :)

And also to say awesome that the technique can be used on hard vinyl heads, too!
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby twinage » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 pm

ShortNCuddlyAm wrote:Just popping to apologise for continuing to always immediately think vinyl=soft when I know full well it isn't always soft :roll: :)

And also to say awesome that the technique can be used on hard vinyl heads, too!

No need to apologize as I also though that vinyl was soft before this head come.
And I really want to see picture so I won't make mistake hopefully as I only have this head. If this head failed, my doll will be headless for months :(
twinage
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:12 am

Here are some photos of the DD and Obitsu heads I've made slimmer in the face using the thread and needle method.

All are the same Dollfie Dream heads---the boys have all been modified thinner, while the girls are all untouched, original unmodified heads:

All below are Obitsu/Parabox 60cm anime heads---again, all the guys have their faces thinned and the girls do not:

If you can't find button craft thread, you can use embroidery floss as well. ^^
Once you go in and out 4 or 5 times, the thread stays very secure. None of mine have come loose at all. You can 'tie' it off at the neckhole once you're done, too, for added security.

If you need to see it being done to a Pchan head, let me know and I'll see if I can make a video tutorial showing how to do it.

:hugs:

God bless!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby twinage » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 am

Wow, lot of gorgeous reference. And yes, this kind of mod is the one I wanted, slimmer cheek but not too slim, just wanted to make the girl facial feature looks mature.

I have actually changed plan using another obitsu head which is more plumper than P-chan, since I thought P-chan head is a bit smaller for 60cm body.
But I would like to watch the tutorial since I'm not too good with written tutorial :lol:
twinage
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Here is a short video 'tutorial' on how to thin the heads (vinyl).

http://www.setsunakou.com/misc/VinylHeadThinning.zip

Please forgive the shakiness and also my poor explanations---it is the first time I've done such a tutorial and am terrible at it!

And here is a snapshot of the 2 Pchan heads---the left one is 'unmodified' original shape, while the right one is the same head (Pchan) after the thread modification.

Thanks again! Hope it helps, twinage-san.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'