Go to footer

For Mlatch: Welcome to Marwencol

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

For Mlatch: Welcome to Marwencol

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

This is just....freaking...amazing.

But be warned, there are scenes of violence depicted in 1/6 scale

http://www.marwencol.com/
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: For Mlatch: Welcome to Marwencol

Postby Kirahfaye » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Wow - impressive. I even sent the link to my husband's email and he's not into dolls
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Geektopian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Ah yes! Mark Hogencamp's story is quite amazing. I've been following the Marwencol saga over at Green Leader's Unofficial Ultimate Soldier Fan Page for several years now and I consider Mark to be a major influence and inspiration with my own work. The underlying theme of catharsis through art was a real help in dealing with a few bad episodes in my own life.

I know there's a documentary in the works by film maker Jeff Malmberg and there was also a brief segment about Mark and Marwencol that was shown on Showtime back in 2008. I have it saved to my hard drive but the first few times I watched it, it literally moved me to tears. Mark has made a remarkable recovery from his injuries but having a parent who suffered traumatic brain injury makes me realize how the person you know really never comes back.

Getting past all the analytical gobbledygook, the bottom line line is that the Marwencol saga is also enjoyable simply as good photography and story-telling. I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it already.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Valli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:47 am

I started reading it, but of course it's in reverse. His attention to detail is amazing. I've saved the link. I need to find out more about Mark to understand what you're saying. Personally, I understand how writing can be cathartic. I expect there are many of us who have used our stories to alleviate emotional turmoil or at least begin the process of recovery and choosing life once again.
Valli
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:30 am

Having survived a traumatic brain injury each one is different. Some of us come back pretty much like we used to be, perhaps with a bit of a personality change, and some come back different. Several of us feel we exchanged one part of our selves for another. Either way the healing and changing never stops and it's an on going process.

Dolls are wonderful for healing, there have been many times in my life when they were my only friends and times like now when they've opened new worlds to me.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 am

Valli

After being beaten into a brain-damaging coma by five men outside a bar, Mark built a 1/6th scale World War II-era town in his backyard. Mark populated the town he dubbed "Marwencol" with dolls representing his friends and family and created life-like photographs detailing the town's many relationships and dramas. Playing in the town and photographing the action helped Mark to recover his hand-eye coordination and deal with the psychic wounds from the attack. Through his homemade therapy, Mark was able to begin the long journey back into the "real world", both physically and emotionally - something he continues to struggle with today.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I had heard about this, but didn't know the name.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Geektopian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Another little cool factoid: Marwencol is populated by characters based on real people. Those of you who've spent time hanging out on the various 1/6 scale action forums might even recognize the names, since a number of them are folks who hang out at Green Leader's board.

The town's crack sniper is, in real life, a crack sniper! He even has the somewhat dubious honor (in real life) of having had a bounty placed on his head by the Taliban.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Valli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Wow! What a life he's had. Thanks Victoria and David for explaining.

DollyKim, I'm glad you're part of this world. It's nice to know you are pulling through.

This is why I loved 13doll and now here, we're a loving caring bunch of people. Genuine and not just about dolls, but it's the magnet that draws us together.
Valli
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm

TBI can be well hidden, it's not something seen on the outside like other disabilities, not to say that it is. We aren't allowed to compare but mine was "mild" compared to some of the others, and it depends on where in your brain gets mushed. Look at how Bob Woodruff recovered. Your brain is pliable for you're entire life so you can always learn new things. Another big thing is to never give up on things being able to change and "recover".
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!