Go to footer

Modding Wigs

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Modding Wigs

Postby Sixoclock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:09 am

I'm just curious how most of you mod larger wigs to be a bit smaller? I don't want to cut the wig or do any permanent mods. I'm guessing It involves sewing, but-- not to be totally dumb-- I'm just not wrapping my head around it today. I'm the only one at home with the baby right now, so maybe I'm just kinda losing my mind a little - lol. She's a sweetheart but she is also crazy. :3

I have a pink wig on my DD03 head and it just comes off as a little too big.. You can see a pic here..

http://balljointedbokeh.wordpress.com/2 ... -complete/

It's the last pic and in order to get that look, the wig is nearly falling off the back of her head. XD Anyway.. I just want to make the wig a bit snugger and... Hmmm I might trim the bangs as well if a barrette doesn't do the trick.

Thansk!
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Modding Wigs

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 am

I doubt you'd like my method. I remove all the wefts from the back, take in the wig cap (usually by making one or two darts in it) and then sew the wefts back on. Usually you end up with some spare wefts which can be used later to make a multicolored wig or something :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Sixoclock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Ack! You're braver than I. :3 Thank you for the information, but I would prefer not to do that, lol.
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 am

If you only need it a bit more snug, you could try making a wig cap out of the toe of a sock (slightly smaller than the actual wig around the edge).
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby famedglory » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 am

Rubber bands usually work pretty well for this. They take up the remaining space, grip the wig so it doesn't slip, and, so long as you use neutral colored rubber bands, won't really stain.
famedglory
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Sixoclock » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:56 am

@ embyquinn - She's got a wig cap on actually. I used the toe of a baby stocking. :3 Still gonna need to trim her bangs though because they hang in her face too much.... But I am nervous and don't want to ruin the wig.

@ famedglory - yeah I tried a rubber band too, but I really wanted to mod the wig itself. The rubber band did the job of keeping the wig in place, yes, but didn't really fix my fitting issue-- thanks though! ^_~
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Postby delbelcoure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Here's a good tutorial on adding elastic to the back edge.
http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showt ... t-tutorial
Susan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delbelcoure
Does this, will this, enhance my life or the lives of others?
-Don Aslett
Ack! I'm being overrun by Monster High dolls and frankendollies!
delbelcoure
the walls have dolliehs

Postby tirsden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 am

I've turned a 5/6 wig into a 5" wig, I have a video explaining what I did, I'm just not sure how clear/useful it is. ^^;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=XskgHtzvMkg <-- in all it's goofy glory
tirsden
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:13 am

Hmm...You could sew elastic onto the wig.. (Trust me I feel your pain. Haruka's wig is always falling off at random because it's one size too small but it looks too cute on her for me to change it.)
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'