Go to footer

Advice on busy meet dollieh care.

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Advice on busy meet dollieh care.

Postby myotishia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:13 am

I'm going to an expo on the 18th and want to take one of my dolls along. It's notoriously busy and I don't want them to get damaged. I wondered if you had any advice on keeping them safe. I'll take "Don't take them ebil lady!". lol.
feeling unwelcome. It was a good sanctuary while it lasted. I'll miss you guys. .
myotishia
Dolly Pardon

Re: Advice on busy meet dollieh care.

Postby Jobee » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:44 am

I think you should have a carrier of some sort that you can have your hands free and the doll can still show. It might help to hav ea hat with an elastic band that goes under the chin to keep the hat and wig from falling off.

You might want to just take the doll to a few panels, and not around all day. And I'd leave the elf-eared ones at home. Anything with extra sticky outy parts could get broken.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 am

When I take any of my dolliehs to a local meet, they are in a controlled environment and on a table. I keep an eye on them, and have had no trouble. Usually many friends are there and we watch out for each other. When we go to conventions (which sound more like your expo) the doll will be in my arms. I don't usually put the doll down, so I feel fairly secure. If I do set the doll down, I am right next to him/her and monitoring. Use good sense, and treat the doll like a purse. You need to know where it is, and you need to be aware of your surroundings. If you have to crowd up to a vendor table, move the doll to the front of your body. Be polite if someone asks about the doll, and be prepared to tell them where to get one. I usually carry Junkyspot cards since most of my dolls (and the ones that I take out and about) come from there. I do enjoy bringing my dolls places, and taking pictures of them there!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby myotishia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 am

All good ideas. ^_^ I may take one of my little ones instead of Autumn if I get worried as they're easier to keep an eye on. I think I'd be cuddling her the whole day. Then again I don't think she'd mind. She's pretty good in public and doesn't have anything too sticky outy XD.
feeling unwelcome. It was a good sanctuary while it lasted. I'll miss you guys. .
myotishia
Dolly Pardon

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 am

Having hauled dolls to Europe (twice) and actually having to hand carry Momiji around Versailles... in arm is safest. But having a bag that they can sit/stand in to free your arms when they get heavy is a good idea (after a couple hours, even Momiji [luts kdelf] seems to double in weight). Bring along a piece of cloth to wrap them in so they don't pick up stains from the inside of the bag and they'll be fine. I have an actual doll carrier, but if I know I want to be pulling them out for pictures (or to show them off) it's easier just to have some kind of shoulder bag.

I've also used a very strong Amish-made basket to carry everyone around. They can all sit around the bottom, overlapping legs, and I drape a cloth over the top as a sun screen. Very good for Renn Faires and other festivals.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby myotishia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Awwww that's such a cute idea. I love baskets like that too. ^_^
I may do the bag thing. Plus my wife'll be with me and she doesn't mind carrying Autumn a bit. Thanks all. :D
myotishia
Dolly Pardon

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Also beware of young'uns. While there are many children that are well-behaved and mannerly, there are double that many whose parents have left them to be raised by television and video games (and then blame it on society when their child misbehaves but that's another story) so when approached by children, exercise extra caution until you know if said child is liable to snatch your doll (or his/her wig)...When I went to a convention, there was such a child that kept poking the doll in the face, and yanking his wig off his head, no matter how many times I said to stop, and tried to move the doll out of her reach. I ended up having to threaten to break fingers if she did it again, before she stopped.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby myotishia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Wow, some kids are jerks. @_@
I'll be careful. Luckily though I'm only 5"2" I'm quite imposing so hopefully I can get them to walk off before they poke Autumn. I don't mind answering questions but no touchy. :)
myotishia
Dolly Pardon

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Yeah it was the only negative experience at the con >.> .... I even explained to the girl that the oils on her hands could damage the paint, her fingernails could scratch him, that the wig was a pain in the tookus to get on, and that grabbing it could yank the hairs out or tangle them..... and that the doll wasn't even mine, but my friend's, who was standing there rather horrified but afraid to say anything in case the girl's parents were nearby to make a fuss... Explained a few times, actually. And she even watched me struggle to get the wig back on and smooth it out, and not five seconds later YANK! Which was when I grabbed her wrist and said "Touch him again and I break your fingers." Most other children I ran into were respectful, but this helion was a terror! And no parents around to see.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby myotishia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 pm

And I'm guessing they didn't tell either. Meaning they knew they were being a brat. My cousin used to be like that until she had a tantrum and my mum held her upside down by her ankles. She shut up swiftly after that. Lol.
Luckily Autumn's wig goes on pretty easily but I'll try and make her a hat just in case. :)
myotishia
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'