Go to footer

BJD terminology for a n00b?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: BJD terminology for a n00b?

Postby arrowchild » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 pm

let's see...

'floating head'= a head that doesn't yet have a body to go with it
'body blush'= using pastels or paints to enhance the body, (like a face-up but for the doll's body)
'mods'=modification through sanding or sculpting
arrowchild
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

I hope you noobs are getting all this. There will be a test...
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm

K2! wrote:I hope you noobs are getting all this. There will be a test...

I feel like there are some other doll-related terms n00bs won't know that we forgot to mention...
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby kittyasauras » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm

K2! wrote:I hope you noobs are getting all this. There will be a test...

It's all very educational! STUDY STUDY STUDY...!!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 pm

I feel lke we're forgetting a few terms...
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Restring: a bit of a no-brainer, but it's when you take apart an entire doll and put it back together again. A source of much fear and grief for the BJD n00b, but it's actually nothing to be afraid of, and just takes practice. Veterans restring their dolls all the time, for cleaning, tightening, and string replacement, because the elastic does eventually degrade. This term doesn't apply to vinyl dolls like obitsu, because they have an internal skeleton, rather than an elastic tension string. When restringing, make sure you keep the right and left limbs separate, or you'll do a stupid, and put your poor dollieh back together backwards. My girl ResinSoul Wu spent a good 3 months and change with her arms on wrong before I noticed it. x.x

Hybrid: also as it sounds, it's when you use parts from one company and stick them on a body from another company. Most common hybrid is the head of one company on another body, such as my ResinSoul Jun on a Dollzone boy body, or Soom fantasy parts on just about any other doll, but really, anything goes, so long as it fits, or can be made to fit.

Resin-match: when doing the above-mentioned hybridizing, more often than not, you'll be looking for a resin match for your parts.

Aesthetic services/work: Blushing, face-ups, mods, etc that effect the appearance of the doll, usually seen with the artist's name attached. IE: "Aesthetic work by *insert user name*"

DoA/DOA: Den of Angels, one of the most prominent and elitist doll forums on the internet. Has a reputation of being a gathering place for every snooty doll snob on the internets, but also an excellent resource for tutorials, doll news, tips on dollieh care and maintenance, and more.

Gore mod: aesthetic work done on a doll to give it a deliberately grotesque appearance, such as scars, open wounds, slashed eyes, zombie flesh, staples, stitches, etc

Doll meet/Meet-up: when a bunch of doll-lovers get together to show off their pretty dolliehs and exchange greetings, tips, and often sell and/or trade items.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

DZ, RS, BBB, DiM, etc.... These are all abbreviations for BJD manufacturers and you'll never learn them all so don't even try hahahahaha. That said if you aren't sure, someone will tell you. The most common are:

DZ = Dollzone
RS = ResinSoul
BBB = Bobobie
AoD = Angel of Dream
DL = Doll Leaves
annnd probably a hundred more :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby quidam » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:DL = Doll Leaves

Oddly, Doll Leaves tends to be abbreviated as DS more often than DL. I don't quite understand it, but even the company does it.
*shrugs*
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm

I see a lot of DiM: Doll in Mind. And FairyLand: FL
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Opalwhisker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Ah thanks for all the replies everyone! I'll be sure to look at everything given to me! and the comparisons are all really helpful ;v;
Hi! I'm kind of new to... well... everything! ^^; please excuse any stupid questions I might have.
I love to draw and I'm interested in starting to learn how to do face ups!
My Deviant Art page: http://opalwhisker.deviantart.com/
My Icon was not drawn by me, but by a close friend of mine! It does feature my character Pidge though!
Opalwhisker
i see dead dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'